PrinceofNothingReviews: A Red and Pleasant Land, Part II: Sweet Alice

Welcome back to another exciting installment of PrinceofNothingReviews, where your Prince will valiantly delve into the RPG-land in search of trinkets and fair maidens to impale above his fireplace at the risk of grave and well-deserved mental and indeed physical harm to his person.

Let’s delve in. The second part of RaPL describes a new character class, the Alice (or Allistair if you are a dude). Strongly based off of Alice in Wonderland (bet you hadn’t figured that one out), the Alice is the archtypical fool, a sort of lower-hit-dice thief class derivative with shittier starting saves and a progression that is almost entirely random. And this: “Alices are always humans or halflings (though some say they are a race unto themselves). In systems which treat race as class, you could say the Aliceness of an Alice supercedes its Halflingness.” That’s a pretty good line.

Her only fixed class ability is to Express Exparation 1/real game hour, itself a random ability that can cause all sorts of mischief and random effects to escape from perilous situations in all sorts of whimsical ways (talking objects, sudden secret doors, the appearance of a helpful npc or small animal etc.) that grows more potent as she levels up.

Almost everything else, with the exception of hit dice and attack bonus(as rogue in Loftp rogues don’t advance in AB so that is all cool), is random. Every time the alice levels up, she may roll d100. You get about 20% chance to improve all your saves by 1, 50% chance to get 2 skill points and the rest (30%) is unqiue and random special abilities. Every special ability is named with a sentence from Alice in Wonderland, which is a nice stylistic touch if you are into that sort of thing. These can vary from getting a bonus to identify plants or talk to animals to inheriting 5000 gp worth of mundane items(you have 10 secs to decide), getting a bonus with improvised weapons or getting a single one-use spell(lvl 1-8) CL 15th. There are way more(like 20) but this is a pretty good sample.

Its very oldschool (or new oldschool) in the sense that it discourages character optimization shenanigans and embraces randomness above and beyond earlier examples(Empire of the Petal Throne and its retroclone Arrows of Indra for example) but the meta-gaming reality-bending powers of the Alice along with its randomised progression and often whimsical abilities might not be to everyone’s liking. A very strange class indeed, and somewhat distinctive from its well-worn adventuring peers. As an extremely weird rogue, I can see it work. Maybe. But if you are going to run RaPl you might as well take an Alice and get on with it.

I should point out that although the book does take pains to add notes to enable conversion to newer systems, the Alice class is almost certainly not compatible with 3e Dnd or its derivation/usurper king(Pathfinder) without serious modding, as the random progession is likely to ensure the Alice is probably very underpowered at higher levels, even with seriously good rolls[This is a gut-feeling, I have not done the math, but I can still create 20th level wizards from memory alone so I consider myself reasonably well versed in 3e]. I unfortunately have not read 5th edition so I am not aware how well it converts to that, I will gladly assume that the author meant 5th edition with newer systems in which case it might very well be feasible to play a 5e Alice. As for compatibility with 4e hah hah haaaaw [drinks heavily]!.

Monster Section in Part 3. Spoilers: Its very good.

Advertisements

4 thoughts on “PrinceofNothingReviews: A Red and Pleasant Land, Part II: Sweet Alice

  1. Is the class really appropriate for a mixed adventuring party, or is it better suited for solo play, or “all-Alice” play? It seems as if a player playing one in a typical party in a typical game would be hopelessly overmatched.

    Like

    1. All Alice play is an invitation to narrative disaster, given the Express Exparation ability can be used 1/hour. If i were a cynical man i would call it a Mary Sue class, if not for the fact it seems fairly well balanced and even a bit underpowered compared to other classes. Its an unpredictable class, with abilities that can be very good in situations. You could probably roll up an incredibly scary Alice class but its unlikely. Or you could roll poorly and get a gimped Specialist with terrible hit points and rubbish saving throws, that can happen too. A Wild Card if you will(i refer to the It’s always Sunny in Philadelphia episode ‘The Gang solves the Gas Crisis.’)

      Like

  2. Ein toller Fellsattel zeichnet sich vor allem insofern aus, dass er ebenso gut für den Gaul und für den Reiter ist. Dieser Umstand sollte immer der ausschlaggebende Faktor beim Einkauf eines Sattels sein. Jetzt kann man ins Detail gehen und detaillierte Merkmale der verschiedenen Typen beachten. Selbstverständlich spielt auch hier das Alter die gewisse Rolle. Für Kinder eignen sich insbesondere anti-rutsch Fellsattel. Bei Erwachsenen darf dieser Punkt beinahe missachtet werden. Gleich ausschlaggebend ist außerdem die Bequemlichkeit des Fellsattels. Jetzt bietet sich besonders Lammfell an. Dieser Stoff bzw. dieses Material ist besonders weich und zur gleichen Zeit schonend für das Pferd. Ein Fellsattel aus Lammfell ist möglicherweise die erste Alternative die ein Reiter haben dürfte. Zwar ist ein solcher Sattel auch in Sachen Kosten immens höher als andere.

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s